On Oct. 9, 1912, members of the firm, Drs. Mayo, Graham, Plummer and Judd, their associates and other interested onlookers gathered on the southeast corner of Second Avenue Southwest and First Street Southwest to observe the cementing of a Missouri marble cornerstone into the wall of the first Mayo Clinic building. The structure would not be completed until two years later, but the event was important in the evolution of Mayo's medical practice.
The building was constructed around the principles, concepts and systems of Dr. Henry Plummer, and reflected his ideal that a medical building should be not only efficient, but also warm and inviting to all who enter.
The building featured rooms and corridors with oak paneling, cork and terrazzo floors, a Tiffany stained skylight, a Rook wood tile fountain, ornamental plaster ceilings, and detailed bronze grillwork. When the 1914 Building was demolished in 1986 to make way for the Siebens Education Building, many of its tiles and ornamental fixtures were salvaged and some were incorporated into the design of the Siebens Building.
Dr. William J. Mayo said of the 1914 Building: "The object of this building is to furnish a permanent house wherein scientific investigation can be made into the cause of the diseases which afflict mankind, and wherein every effort shall be made to cure the sick and the suffering. It is the hope of the founders of this building that in its use, the high ideals of the medical profession will always be maintained. Within its walls all classes of people, the poor as well as the rich, without regard to color or creed, shall be cared for without discrimination."
The building opened on March 6, 1914.