To use the withdrawal method:
- Properly time withdrawal. When a man feels he's about to ejaculate, he must withdraw his penis from the woman’s vagina. Make sure that ejaculation occurs away from the woman’s genitals.
- Take precautions before having sex again. If you plan to have sex again within a short period of time, make sure the man urinates and cleans off the tip of his penis first. This will help remove any remaining sperm from the previous ejaculation.
If ejaculation isn't properly timed and you're concerned about pregnancy, consult your health care provider about emergency contraception.
Mar. 14, 2012
- Hatcher RA, et al. Contraceptive Technology. 20th ed. New York, N.Y.: Ardent Media Inc.; 2011.
- Zieman M. Overview of contraception. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Feb. 2, 2012.
- Harms RW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 6, 2012.