Most wisdom tooth extractions don't result in long-term complications. Problems that can occur include:
Apr. 11, 2012
- Dry socket, or exposure of bone when the post-surgical blood clot is dislodged from the site of the surgical wound (socket) — a complication that delays healing and causes pain
- Infection in the socket from bacteria or trapped food particles
- Damage to sinuses near the upper wisdom teeth
- Weakening of the lower jawbone
- Damage to nerves that results in altered sensation in the lower lip, tongue or chin
- Wisdom teeth. American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. http://www.aaoms.org/wisdom_teeth.php. Accessed Feb. 29, 2012.
- Marciani RD. Third molar removal: An overview of indications, imaging, evaluation, and assessment of risk. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinics of North America. 2007;19:1.
- Bagheri SC, et al. Extraction versus nonextraction management of third molars. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinics of North America. 2007;19:15.
- Haug RH, et al. Evidenced-based decision making: The third molar. Dental Clinics of North America. 2009;53:77.
- Tintinalli JE, et al. Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=6388295. Accessed Feb. 29, 2012.
- Kandasamy S, et al. The wisdom behind third molar extractions. Australian Dental Journal. 2009;54:284.
- Postextraction problems. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/dental_disorders/dental_emergencies/postextraction_problems.html. Accessed Feb. 29, 2012.
- Farish SE, et al. General technique of third molar removal. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinics of North America. 2007;19:23.
- Carr AB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 9, 2012.
- Mettes DTG, et al. Interventions for treating asymptomatic wisdom teeth in adolescents and adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD003879.pub2/abstract. Accessed March 22, 2012.