You probably won't need a follow-up appointment after a wisdom tooth extraction if:
- You don't need stitches removed
- No complications arose during the procedure
- You don't experience persistent problems, such as pain, swelling, numbness or bleeding — complications that might indicate infection, nerve damage or other problems
If complications develop, contact your dentist or oral surgeon to discuss treatment options.
March 31, 2015
- Wisdom teeth. American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. http://myoms.org/procedures/wisdom-teeth-management. Accessed March 9, 2015.
- Mettes TG, et al. Surgical removal versus retention for the management of asymptomatic impacted wisdom teeth. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD003879.pub3/abstract. Accessed March 9, 2015.
- Wisdom teeth. MouthHealthy.org. http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/w/wisdom-teeth. Accessed March 9, 2015.
- Coulthard P, et al. Surgical techniques for the removal of mandibular wisdom teeth. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD004345.pub2/abstract. Accessed March 9, 2015.
- Postextraction problems. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/dental_disorders/dental_emergencies/postextraction_problems.html. Accessed March 9, 2015.
- What to do following an extraction. British Dental Health Foundation. https://www.dentalhealth.org/tell-me-about/topic/routine-treatment/what-to-do-following-an-extraction. Accessed March 9, 2015.
- Bouloux GF, et al. What is the risk of future extraction of asymptomatic third molars? A systematic review. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. In press. Accessed March 9, 2015.
- Wisdom tooth removal. NHS Choices. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Wisdom-tooth-removal/Pages/Introduction.aspx. Accessed March 9, 2015.
- Salinas TJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 17, 2015.