Why choose Mayo ClinicBy Mayo Clinic Staff
June 09, 2014
- Experience. Each year, Mayo Clinic specialists perform more than 200 virtual colonoscopies.
- Expertise. Mayo Clinic published the first report in the scientific literature on the clinical effectiveness of virtual colonoscopy and was the first to offer it for routine care.
- Early cancer detection. Colonoscopy is strongly recommended as a screening test for early detection of colon cancer. As a less invasive option, virtual colonoscopy can be more comfortable and ultimately help reduce the number of deaths from colorectal cancer.
- New ideas. Researchers at Mayo Clinic continue to study ways to improve virtual colonoscopy. You have access to the expertise of Mayo's clinician-researchers.
- AskMayoExpert. What is computed tomography (CT) colonography? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Kruskal JB, et al. Computed tomographic colonography. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 20, 2014.
- Yee J, et al. The time has arrived for national reimbursement of screening CT colonography. AJR. American Journal of Roentgenology. 2013;201:73.
- Pickhardt PJ, et al. Colorectal cancer: CT colonography and colonoscopy for detection — Systematic review and meta-analysis. Radiology. 2011;259:393.
- Sakamoto T, et al. Detection of flat colorectal polyps at CT screening colonography in comparison with conventional polypoid lesions. Acta Radiologica. 2012;53;714.
- Johnson CD, et al. The national CT colonography trial: Assessment of accuracy in participants 65 years of age and older. Radiology. 2012;263:421.
- Virtual colonoscopy. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.6.gov/ddiseases/pubs/virtualcolonoscopy. Accessed Feb. 20, 2014.
- Pooler BD, et al. Screening CT colonography: Multicenter survey of patient experience, preference, and potential impact on adherence. AJR. American Journal of Roentgenology 2012;198:1361.