Mayo Clinic is an international leader in colon and rectal cancer research. Mayo Clinic physicians and researchers have been at the forefront of virtual colonoscopy research since the technology began in the 1990s.
Mayo Clinic studies regarding virtual colonoscopy have examined the accuracy, performance, safety and patient acceptance of this procedure. The research has found virtual colonoscopy to be a safe, effective alternative to traditional colonoscopy for many patients, particularly those ages 50 and older who have no symptoms of cancer.
Researchers at Mayo Clinic continue to look for ways to improve and advance virtual colonoscopy. For example, they are currently investigating methods that may eliminate the need for bowel preparation prior to the procedure. Mayo researchers are also exploring additional applications for this technology.
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic doctors about virtual colonoscopy on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Jun. 18, 2011
- Schilling McCann JA, ed. Diagnostic Tests. Philadelphia, Pa.: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2007:106.
- Virtual colonoscopy. National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/virtualcolonoscopy. Accessed March 18, 2009.
- Rockey DC. Computed tomographic colonography: Ready for prime time? Gastroenterology Clinics of North America. 2010;39:901.
- Levin B, et al. Screening and surveillance for the early detection of colorectal cancer and adenomatous polyps, 2008: A joint guideline from the American Cancer Society, the US Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer, and the American College of Radiology. Gastroenterology. 2008;134:1570.
- Colorectal cancer screening. Bloomington, Minn.: Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement. http://www.icsi.org/guidelines_and_more/gl_os_prot/preventive_health_maintenance/colorectal_cancer_screening/colorectal_cancer_screening_6.html. Accessed May 2, 2011.
- Yee J. Patient preparation for CT colonography. In: Lefere P, ed. Virtual Colonoscopy: A Practical Guide. New York, N.Y.: Springer; 2006:23.
- Smith RA, et al. Cancer screening in the United States, 2011: A review of current American Cancer Society guidelines and issues in cancer screening. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians. 2011;61:8.