- Teamwork. At Mayo Clinic, thoracic surgeons work as a team with pulmonologists and radiologists to evaluate and care for people considering video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery. Other professionals are included as needed.
- Experience. Mayo Clinic thoracic surgeons were among the first in the United States to perform video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery. Each year, Mayo Clinic thoracic surgeons perform more than 700 of these procedures.
Careful evaluation. Mayo Clinic doctors will thoroughly evaluate your condition to determine which treatment options best meet your goals. People best suited to video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery include those who haven't had chest surgery previously and those who have good lung function.
Mayo Clinic offers many other treatment options for people who can't undergo video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery.
- Research. Mayo Clinic doctors and scientists are studying new uses and techniques to improve the quality and safety of surgical procedures, such as video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for respiratory disorders in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., and Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked high performing for respiratory disorders by U.S. News & World Report.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Mar. 08, 2014
- Demmy T, et al. Overview of video assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS). http://www.uptodate.com. Accessed Sept. 9, 2013.
- Lewis MI, et al. Medical Management of the Thoracic Surgery Patient. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 9, 2013.
- Miller DL, et al. Videothoracoscopic wedge excision of the lung. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 1992;54:410.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 11, 2013.