Cardiomyopathy is a heart muscle disease. Treatment options depend on what type of cardiomyopathy you have.
Enlarged heart is often a sign of a serious heart condition. Find out causes and treatments for enlarged heart.
Heart failure means your heart can't efficiently pump blood throughout your body. Medications, and sometimes devices or surgery, can help you manage this condition.
Myocarditis is a disease in which the heart muscle becomes inflamed and swollen, often as the result of an infection.
Mar. 13, 2012
- Heart failure. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hf/. Accessed Feb. 2, 2012.
- Jessup M, et al. 2009 focused update: ACCF/AHA guidelines for the diagnosis and management of heart failure in adults. Circulation. 2009;119:1977.
- Ventricular assist device. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/vad/vad_all.html. Accessed Feb. 2, 2012.
- Slaughter MS, et al. Advanced heart failure treated with continuous-flow left ventricular assist device. New England Journal of Medicine. 2009;361:1.
- Mancini D, et al. Mechanical device-based methods of managing and treating heart failure. Circulation. 2005;112:438.
- Anscheim DD, et al. Innovation with experience using implantable left ventricular assist devices. Circulation: Heart Failure. 2009;2:1.
- Heart transplant. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/ht/ Accessed Feb. 2, 2012.
- Total artificial heart. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/tah/. Accessed Feb. 2, 2012.
- Mitter N, et al. Update on ventricular assist devices. Current Opinion in Anaesthesiology. 2010;23:57.