Enlarged heart is often a sign of a serious heart condition. Find out causes and treatments for enlarged heart.
Feb. 24, 2016
- What is a ventricular assist device? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/vad. Accessed Aug. 10, 2015.
- What is heart failure? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hf. Accessed Aug. 10, 2015.
- Aroesty JM, et al. Circulatory assist devices: Cardiopulmonary assist device and short-term left ventricular assist devices. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 3, 2015.
- Yancy CW, et al. 2013 ACCF/AHA guideline for the management of heart failure: A report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on practice guidelines. Circulation. 2013;128:e240.
- Implantable medical devices for heart failure. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartFailure/PreventionTreatmentofHeartFailure/Implantable-Medical-Devices-for-Heart-Failure_UCM_306354_Article.jsp. Accessed Aug. 10, 2015.
- Birks EJ. Intermediate- and long-term mechanical circulatory support. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 3, 2015.
- What is a total artificial heart? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/tah. Accessed Aug. 11, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. What are the therapeutic options for the various stages of heart failure? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Stulak JM, et al. Ventricular assist device selection: Which one and when? Croatian Medical Journal. 2014;55:596.
- Mancini D. Practical management of long-term mechanical circulatory support devices. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 3, 2015.
- Mancini D, et al. Left ventricular assist devices: A rapidly evolving alternative to transplant. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2015;65:2542.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 4, 2015.
- What is cardiac rehabilitation? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/rehab/. Accessed Aug. 13, 2015.
- Givertz MM. Ventricular assist devices: Important information for patients and families. Circulation. 2011;124e:e305.
- Kirkpatrick JN, et al. Ventricular assist devices for treatment of acute heart failure and chronic heart failure. Heart. 2015;101:1091.
- Bonow RO, et al. Mechanical circulatory support. In: Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 25, 2015.
- Murray MJ, et al. Management of end-stage heart failure: Heart transplantation and ventricular assist devices. In: Faust's Anesthesiology Review. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 25, 2015.
- La Franca E, et al. Heart failure and mechanical circulatory assist devices. Global Journal of Health Science. 2013;5:11.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Getting ready for heart surgery. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2011.
- How can I prepare for heart surgery? American Heart Association. https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/heartsurgery.html. Accessed Sept. 25, 2015.
- Cheung A, et al. Design concepts and preclinical results of a miniaturized HeartWare platform: The MVAD system. Innovations. 2015;10:151.
- First woman receives an artificial heart implant. The New York Times. Dec. 20, 1985. http://www.nytimes.com/1985/12/20/us/first-woman-receives-an-artificial-heart-implant.html. Accessed Oct. 12, 2015.
- DeVries WC, et al. Clinical use of the total artificial heart. The New England Journal of Medicine. 1984;310:273.
- Joyce LD, et al. Use of the mini-Jarvik 7 total artificial heart as a bridge to transplantation. The Journal of Heart Transplantation. 1986;5:203.
- U.S. News Best Hospitals 2015-2016. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings. Accessed Oct. 29, 2015.
- Intermacs Quality Assurance Quarterly Report (2015 Q1). Interagency Registry for Mechanically Assisted Circulatory Support, University of Alabama. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Contract No. HHSN268201100025C. http://www.uab.edu/intermacs. Accessed Nov. 12, 2015.
- Kushwaha SS (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 30, 2015.
- Cecka JM, et al. Clinical Transplants 2003. Los Angeles, Calif.: UCLA Immunogenetics Center; 2004.
- Joyce DL, et al. Mechanical Circulatory Support: Principles and Applications. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Medical; 2012.
- Joyce LD (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 7, 2016.
News, connections and conversations for your health
Ventricular assist device (VAD)