Vasectomy is a safe and effective birth control choice for men who are certain they don't want to father a child.
Feb. 09, 2013
- Vasectomy is nearly 100 percent effective in preventing pregnancy.
- Vasectomy is an outpatient surgery with a low risk of complications or side effects.
- The cost of a vasectomy is far less than the cost of female sterilization (tubal ligation) or the long-term cost of birth control medications for women.
- You won't need to take birth control steps before sex, such as putting on a condom.
- Ongaro T, et al. Overview of vasectomy. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Dec. 5, 2012.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1445/0.html. Accessed Dec. 5, 2012.
- Hatcher RA, et al. Contraceptive Technology. 20th ed. New York, N.Y.: Ardent Media; 2011:460.
- Viera A. Vasectomy and other vasal occlusion techniques for male contraception. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Dec. 13, 2012.