Uterine fibroids are noncancerous tumors of the uterus. Medical therapy and surgical procedures can shrink or remove uterine fibroids.
Jun. 04, 2013
- Frequently asked questions. Gynecologic problems FAQ074. Uterine fibroids. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq074.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20130423T1546469165. Accessed April 23, 2013.
- Bouwsma EVA, et al. Comparing focused ultrasound and uterine artery embolization for uterine fibroids — Rational and design of the fibroid interventions: Reducing symptoms today and tomorrow (FIRSTT) trial. Fertility and Sterility. 2011;96:704.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Committee on Practice Bulletins — Gynecology. ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 96. Alternatives to hysterectomy in the management of leiomyomas. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://guideline.gov/content.aspx?id=13318. Accessed April 23, 2013.
- Laughlin SK, et al. Uterine leiomyomas: Individualizing the approach to a heterogeneous condition. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2011;117:396.
- Van der Kooij, et al. Review of nonsurgical/minimally invasive treatments for uterine fibroids. Current Opinion in Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2012;24:1.
- Coddington CC, et al. Fertility and uterine artery embolization. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2010;116:439.
- Martin J, et al. Complications and reinterventions in uterine artery embolization for symptomatic uterine fibroids: A literature review and meta analysis. Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology. 2013;36:395.
- Scheurig-Muenkler C, et al. Clinical long-term outcome after uterine embolization: Sustained symptom control and improvement of quality of live. Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology. In press. April 4, 2013.
- Kaump GR, et al. The impact of uterine artery embolization on ovarian function. Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology. 2013;24:459.
- Choi, et al. Is uterine artery embolization for patients with large myomas safe and effective? A retrospective comparison study in 323 patients. Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology. In press. Accessed April 4, 2013.
- Kim D, et al. Uterine leiomyoma (fibroid) embolization. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 6, 2013.
- Kim D, et al. Interventional radiology in management of gynecological disorders. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 6, 2013.
- Parker WH. Techniques to reduce blood loss during abdominal or laparoscopic myomectomy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 23, 2013.
- Uterine fibroid symptoms, diagnosis and treatment. Society of Interventional Radiology. http://www.sirweb.org/patients/uterine-fibroids/. Accessed April 7, 2013.
- Gallenberg MM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 8, 2013.
- Stewart EA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 17, 2013.
- Vander Kooij SM, et al. Uterine artery embolization versus surgery in the treatment of symptomatic fibroids: A systematic review and metaanalysis. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2011;206:e1.