TUMT is generally safe with few if any major complications. Possible risks of TUMT might include:
- New onset or worsening urinary symptoms. Sometimes TUMT can result in chronic inflammation within the prostate. The inflammation can cause symptoms such as a frequent or urgent need to urinate, and painful urination.
- Temporary difficulty urinating. You might have trouble urinating for a few days after the procedure. Until you can urinate on your own, you will need to have a tube (catheter) inserted into your penis to carry urine out of your bladder.
- Urinary tract infection. This type of infection is a possible complication after any prostate procedure. An infection is increasingly likely to occur the longer you have a catheter in place. You will likely need antibiotics to treat the infection.
- Need for re-treatment. TUMT might be less effective on urinary symptoms than other minimally invasive treatments or surgery. You might need to be treated again with another BPH therapy.
Because of potential complications, TUMT might not be a treatment option if you have or have had:
- A penile implant
- Narrowing of the urethra (urethral stricture)
- Certain types of BPH treatment affecting a specific area of the prostate (median lobe)
Oct. 27, 2016
- Cunningham GR, et al. Transurethral procedures for treating benign prostatic hyperplasia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 17, 2016.
- Wein AJ, et al., eds. Minimally invasive and endoscopic management of benign prostatic hyperplasia. In: Campbell-Walsh Urology. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 17, 2016.
- Ebbing J, et al. Anesthesia-free procedures for benign prostate obstruction: worth it? Current Opinion in Urology. 2015;25:32.
- Hollingsworth JM, et al. Lower urinary tract symptoms in men. BMJ. 2014;349:g4474.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Care following transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP). Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
Transurethral microwave therapy (TUMT)