A tummy tuck — also known as abdominoplasty — is a cosmetic surgical procedure to improve the appearance of the abdomen.
During a tummy tuck, excess skin and fat are removed from the abdomen. In most cases, the connective tissues in the abdomen are tightened with sutures as well. The remaining skin is then repositioned to create a more toned look.
You might choose to have a tummy tuck if you have skin that's accumulated around the area of your bellybutton and a weak lower abdominal wall. A tummy tuck can also boost your body image.
Aug. 20, 2016
- Tummy tuck. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/tummy-tuck.html#content. Accessed June 22, 2016.
- Neligan PC, et al. Abdominoplasty procedures. In: Plastic Surgery. 3rd ed. London, England: Elsevier Saunders; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 22, 2016.
- Tummy tuck guide. American Board of Plastic Surgery. http://www.americanboardcosmeticsurgery.org/procedure-learning-center/body/tummy-tuck-guide/. Accessed June 22, 2016.
- Grieco M, et al. Analysis of complications in postbariatric abdominoplasty: Our experience. Plastic Surgery International. 2015;2015:209173.
- Matarasso A, et al. Abdominoplasty Classic Principles and Technique. Clinics in Plastic Surgery. 2014;41:655.
- Body contouring surgical procedures physician's guide. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/for-medical-professionals/resources-and-education/publications/physicians-guide-to-cosmetic-surgery/body-contouring-surgical-procedures.html. Accessed June 22, 2016.
- Matarasso A, et al. Combined breast surgery and abdominoplasty: Strategies for success. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2015;135:849e.
- Nelligan P, et al. Abdominoplasty. In: Core Procedures in Plastic Surgery. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 22, 2016.
- Lemaine V (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 7, 2016.