Hunter syndrome, a rare metabolic disorder, occurs when the body can't break down certain complex sugars. Complications occur as these sugars accumulate in the body.
Sleep apnea causes people to repeatedly stop breathing during their sleep. Common signs of this sleep disorder include loud snores punctuated by periods of silence.
Obstructive sleep apnea is the most common type of sleep apnea — a condition that causes you to repeatedly stop breathing while you sleep.
Tonsillitis — a common cause of sore throat in children — is usually treated with self-care and, in some cases, antibiotics.
Aug. 04, 2012
- Fact sheet: Tonsils and adenoids. American Academy of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/tonsilsAdenoids.cfm. Accessed April 23, 2012.
- Fact sheet: Tonsils and adenoids: Postop. American Academy of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/tonsilsAdenoidsPostop.cfm. Accessed April 23, 2012.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed April 23, 2012.
- Tagliareni JM, et al. Tonsillitis, peritonsillar and lateral pharyngeal abscesses. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinics of North America. 2012;24:197.
- Tonsillopharyngitis. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/ear_nose_and_throat_disorders/oral_and_pharyngeal_disorders/tonsillopharyngitis.html. Accessed April 23, 2012.
- Fact sheet: Tonsillitis. American Academy of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/tonsillitis.cfm. Accessed April 23, 2012.
- Q & A: What you should know before surgery. American Society of Anesthesiologists. http://www.asahq.org/Lifeline/What-To-Expect/QA-What-You-Should-Know-Before-Surgery.aspx. Accessed April 28, 2012.
- McPhee SJ, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2012. 51st ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=2356. Accessed April 30, 2012.
- Fact sheet: Tonsillectomy procedures. American Academy of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/tonsillectomyProcedures.cfm. Accessed April 23, 2012.
- Combating antibiotic resistance. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm092810.htm. Accessed April 27, 2012.
- Hoecker JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 15, 2012.
- Baugh RF, et al. Clinical Practice Guideline: Tonsillectomy in children. Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. 2011;144:S1.
- Orvidas LJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 15, 2012.