Goiter is an enlargement of the thyroid gland due to a variety of causes. The condition can cause difficulty swallowing or breathing.
In Graves' disease, your body produces too much thyroid hormone, which can speed up your metabolism and lead to numerous health problems.
Hurthle cell cancer is a rare type of thyroid cancer. Surgical removal of the thyroid gland is usually required.
Hyperthyroidism occurs when your thyroid gland produces too much of the hormone thyroxine — speeding up your metabolism and sometimes leading to serious complications.
For people diagnosed with the most common forms of thyroid cancer, the prognosis is usually excellent.
Most thyroid nodules — lumps in the thyroid gland — cause no problems. But nodules that affect swallowing, produce excess thyroid hormone or are malignant require treatment.
Oct. 06, 2011
- Lal G, et al. Thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal. In: Brunicardi FC, et al. Schwartz's Principles of Surgery. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=50. Accessed July 14, 2011.
- Thyroid surgery. American Thyroid Association. http://www.thyroid.org/patients/brochures/ThyroidSurgery.pdf. Accessed July 15, 2011.
- Thyroid disorders and surgery. American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/Thyroid-Disorders.cfm. Accessed July 18, 2011.
- Ross DS. Surgery in the treatment of hyperparathyroidism. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed July 18, 2011.
- Tuttle RM. Surgical treatment of differentiated thyroid cancer. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed July 18, 2011.
- Wang TS, et al. Initial and reoperative thyroidectomy. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed July 18, 2011.
- Lee J, et al. Perioperative clinical outcomes after robotic thyroidectomy for thyroid carcinoma: A multicenter study. Surgical Endoscopy. 2011;25:906.
- Kasperbauer JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 14, 2011.