RisksBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Scarring is likely after most types of tattoo removal. Infection or skin discoloration is possible as well.
Nov. 30, 2016
- Schmidt R, et al. Tattooing in adolescents and young adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 21, 2014.
- Kluger N. The risks of do-it-yourself and over-the-counter devices for tattoo removal. International Journal of Dermatology. 2015:54:13.
- Crawford K. Pfenninger and Fowler's Procedures for Primary Care. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 21, 2014.
- Sanghavi SA, et al. Tattoo reactions — An epidemic on the surge: A report of 3 cases. Indian Journal of Dermatology, Venereology, and Leprology. 2013;79:231.
- Unwanted tattoos. American Society for Dermatologic Surgery. http://www.asds.net/TattooRemovalInformation.aspx. Accessed Dec. 21, 2014.
- Surgical excision. American Society for Dermatologic Surgery. http://www.asds.net/TattoosSurgicalExcision/. Accessed Dec. 21, 2014.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn., Jan. 9, 2015.