ResultsBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Tattoos are meant to be permanent, and complete tattoo removal is difficult. Some degree of scarring or skin color variation is likely to remain, regardless of the specific method of tattoo removal.
Nov. 30, 2016
- Schmidt R, et al. Tattooing in adolescents and young adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 21, 2014.
- Kluger N. The risks of do-it-yourself and over-the-counter devices for tattoo removal. International Journal of Dermatology. 2015:54:13.
- Crawford K. Pfenninger and Fowler's Procedures for Primary Care. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 21, 2014.
- Sanghavi SA, et al. Tattoo reactions — An epidemic on the surge: A report of 3 cases. Indian Journal of Dermatology, Venereology, and Leprology. 2013;79:231.
- Unwanted tattoos. American Society for Dermatologic Surgery. http://www.asds.net/TattooRemovalInformation.aspx. Accessed Dec. 21, 2014.
- Surgical excision. American Society for Dermatologic Surgery. http://www.asds.net/TattoosSurgicalExcision/. Accessed Dec. 21, 2014.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn., Jan. 9, 2015.