In stroke telemedicine, also called telestroke, doctors who have advanced training in the nervous system (neurologists) remotely evaluate people who've had acute strokes and make diagnoses and treatment recommendations to emergency medicine doctors at other sites. Doctors communicate using digital video cameras, Internet telecommunications, robotic telepresence, smartphones, tablets and other technology.
Oct. 20, 2015
- Rubin MN, et al. The use of telemedicine in the management of acute stroke. Neurosurgery Focus. 2014;36:E4.
- Zhai Y, et al. Efficacy of telemedicine for thrombolytic therapy in acute ischemic stroke: A meta-analysis. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare. 2015;21:123.
- Quality check. The Joint Commission. http://www.qualitycheck.org/consumer/searchResults.aspx?zip=&dist=-1&idx=0&s=-1&st=&st_nm=-1&careId=&careGrpId=&provId=&provGrpId=&settingId=&populationId=&nm=Mayo+Clinic&cty_id=-1&cty_nm=&provIdtracker=&provGrpIdtracker=&careIdtracker=&careGrpIdtracker=&DecisionType=. Accessed Aug. 9, 2015.
- Riggin EA. Enterprise Performance Management system. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 10, 2015.
- Huddleston P, et al. Stroke care using a hub and spoke model with telemedicine. Critical Care Nursing Clinics of North America. 2014;26:469.
- Stroke: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/stroke/detail_stroke.htm. Accessed Aug. 10, 2015.
- Demaerschalk BM, et al. Stroke telemedicine. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2009;84:53.
- Demaerschalk BM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 20, 2015.
- Barrett KM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. Aug. 31, 2015.
- Brown RD (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 31, 2015.