Follow your doctor's instructions about whether you should avoid use of inhaled breathing medications or other medications before the test. Other preparations include the following:
- Wear loose clothing that won't interfere with your ability to take a deep breath.
- Avoid eating a large meal before your test, so it will be easier to breathe.
Aug. 17, 2017
- Mason RJ, et al. Pulmonary function testing. In: Murray and Nadel's Textbook of Respiratory Medicine. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 2, 2017.
- Pulmonary function tests. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/healthtopics/topics/lft. Accessed April 27, 2017.
- McCormack M, et al. Office spirometry. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed April 27, 2017.