- Experience. Mayo Clinic orthopedic surgeons and neurosurgeons perform more than 900 spinal fusions each year.
- Advanced techniques. Mayo surgeons can perform spinal fusion from the back, front or side of the spine and have access to the newest varieties of bone-fusing materials. Minimally invasive approaches are selected, when appropriate.
- Efficient care. In many cases you can be evaluated and have surgery all within just a few days.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report.
Learn more about the expertise and rankings of Mayo Clinic's neurology, neurosurgery and orthopedic surgery departments.
Nov. 11, 2015
- Spinal fusion. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://www.orthoinfo.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00348. Accessed July 8, 2015.
- Chou R. Subacute and chronic low-back pain: Surgical treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 8, 2015.
- Herkowitz HN, et al. Principles of bone fusion. In: Rothman-Simeone The Spine. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 8, 2015.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Spine Surgery. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Ask Mayo Expert. Cervical spine surgery. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- McMahon SB, et al. Surgery for back and neck pain (including radiculopathies). In: Wall & Melzack's Textbook of Pain. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 21, 2015.
- Canale ST, et al. Arthrodesis of the spine. In: Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 12th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 22, 2015.
- Bridwell KH, et al. What's new in spine surgery? Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 2015;97:1022.
- Huddleston PM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota. Oct. 12, 2015.
- Riggin ER. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 23, 2015.