- Experience. Each year, Mayo Clinic orthopedic surgeons and neurosurgeons perform hundreds of spinal fusions.
- Advanced techniques. State-of-the-art imaging technology helps Mayo physicians precisely diagnose your back problems. Mayo surgeons can perform spinal fusion from the back, front or side of the spine, and have access to the newest varieties of bone-fusing materials. They employ advanced imaging and brain-monitoring techniques during spinal fusion surgeries, which help improve safety and surgical outcomes. Minimally invasive approaches are selected, when appropriate.
- Team approach. People who need spinal fusion sometimes need other types of back surgery at the same time. Mayo Clinic's integrated practice gives you access to all the experts needed to solve your problems.
- Efficient care. In many cases you can be evaluated and have surgery in just a few days.
Why choose Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks #1 for neurology and neurosurgery in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for rehabilitation and is ranked high performing for ophthalmology by U.S. News & World Report.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Oct. 25, 2012
- Spinal fusion. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://www.orthoinfo.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00348. Accessed Aug. 22, 2012.
- Chou R. Subacute and chronic low-back pain: Surgical treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Aug. 22, 2012.
- Firestein GS, et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2009. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1807/0.html. Accessed Aug. 23, 2012.
- Canale ST, et al. Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1584/0.html. Accessed Aug. 23, 2012.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Lumbar interbody fusion. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2011.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Surgery for your cervical spine. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2011.
- AskMayoExpert. Cervical spine surgery. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. Bone morphogenetic proteins. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2011.
- Wheeler SG, et al. Approach to the diagnosis and evaluation of low back pain in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Aug. 23, 2012.