- Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors and staff have helped thousands of people recover from traumatic spinal cord injuries and nontraumatic spinal disorders. The Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) has accredited the Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Program at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota.
Integrated team. Mayo Clinic's spinal cord injury rehabilitation team is led by doctors trained in muscle physiology and rehabilitation, bone and muscle surgery (orthopedic surgeons), and doctors trained in brain and nervous system surgery (neurosurgeons).
Your treatment team also includes nurses, doctors trained in mental health (psychologists), social workers, physical, occupational and recreational therapists, and Mayo's many other specialists as your situation demands.
- Individualized care. You and your rehabilitation team will create an individualized treatment plan to meet your needs and achieve your goals. You and your family are considered an integral part of the treatment team involved in making decisions, setting treatment goals and planning your discharge arrangements.
- Treatment and follow-up care. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in physical medicine and rehabilitation and other staff offer a full range of spinal cord injury rehabilitation services for you, from intensive hospital care to continued care through your lifetime. Your spinal cord injury rehabilitation team provides inpatient rehabilitation, outpatient rehabilitation and lifelong care.
- Pediatric expertise. Pediatric specialists trained in physical medicine and rehabilitation care for children with spinal cord injuries at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota.
- Research. Mayo Clinic researchers study outcomes, rehabilitation options and potential treatments for people with spinal cord injuries and conduct clinical trials.
- Advanced technology. Mayo Clinic staff use advanced technology in diagnostic tests and treatments, including locomotor training, functional electrical stimulation, diaphragm pacing and other options.
Read more about diagnosis and treatment of spinal cord injury.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for rehabilitation by U.S. News & World Report.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Jul. 02, 2014
- Spinal cord injury: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/sci/detail_sci.htm. Accessed April 17, 2014.
- Spinal trauma. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/injuries_poisoning/spinal_trauma/spinal_trauma.html?qt=spinal trauma&alt=sh. Accessed April 17, 2014.
- Provider profile. CARF International. http://www.carf.org/providerProfile.aspx?cid=8020. Accessed April 17, 2014.