Sperm donation is done to help an individual or a couple conceive a baby. You might choose to make a sperm donation to help those who are unable to conceive — such as a woman who doesn't have a male partner or a couple experiencing male infertility.
If you donate semen to a sperm bank, you'll likely be paid for each donation that passes the sperm bank's screening process. Payment is intended to compensate you for your time and any related expenses. The amount is typically low enough so that money isn't the main incentive for donating.
July 20, 2012
- What you should know - Reproductive tissue donation. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/SafetyAvailability/TissueSafety/ucm232876.htm?utm_campaign=Google2&utm_source=fdaSearch&utm_medium=website&utm_term=sperm donation&utm_content=5. Accessed June 8, 2012.
- Infertility fact sheet. Office on Women's Health. http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/infertility.cfm. Accessed June 8, 2012.
- Optimizing male fertility. American Society for Reproductive Medicine. http://www.asrm.org/uploadedFiles/ASRM_Content/Resources/Patient_Resources/Fact_Sheets_and_Info_Booklets/Optimizing%20male%20fertility%20FINAL%204-23-12.pdf. Accessed June 7, 2012.
- Third party reproduction: A guide for patients. American Society for Reproductive Medicine. http://www.asrm.org/uploadedFiles/ASRM_Content/Resources/Patient_Resources/Fact_Sheets_and_Info_Booklets/thirdparty.pdf. Accessed June 7, 2012.
- Intrauterine insemination. American Society for Reproductive Medicine. http://www.asrm.org/awards/detail.aspx?id=8576&terms=(+%40Publish_To+Both+Sites+or+%40Publish_To+ASRM+Only+)+and+third+party+reproduction. Accessed June 7, 2012.
- Treating infertility. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/publications/patient_education/bp137.cfm. Accessed June 7, 2012.
- Ginsburg ES, et al. Donor insemination. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed June 7, 2012.
- Practice Committee of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, et al. 2008 Guidelines for Gamete andEmbryo Donation: A Practice Committee report. Fertility and Sterility. 2008;90:S30.
- Wang C, et al. Treatment of male infertility. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed June 7, 2012.
- Ginsburg ES. Procedure for intrauterine insemination. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed June 7, 2012.
- Cooper TG, et al. World Health Organization reference values for human semen characteristics. World Health Organization. http://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/publications/infertility/human_repro_upd/en. Accessed June 11, 2012.