Looking for a mental health provider but not sure where to start? Here are tips, questions to ask and issues to consider.
At some point, many women experience painful intercourse — for many different reasons. Here's how to discuss the problem and get treatment.
Feb. 14, 2013
- Let's talk facts about psychotherapy. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.healthyminds.org/document-library/brochure-library/lets-talk-facts-psychotherapy.aspx. Accessed Dec. 18, 2012.
- Frequently asked questions. American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists. http://www.aasect.org/faqs.asp#About_Therapy. Accessed Dec. 18, 2012.
- Althof S. Sex therapy: Advances in paradigms, nomenclature, and treatment. Academic Psychiatry. 2010;34:390.
- Hales RE, et al. The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychiatry. 5th ed. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2008. http://www.psychiatryonline.com/resourceToc.aspx?resourceID=5. Accessed Dec. 18, 2012.
- Cope DW. The sexual history and approach to the patient with sexual dysfunction. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 18, 2012.
- Rohe DE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 31, 2013.
- Bostwick JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 8, 2013.