A broken nose, also called a nasal fracture, is a break or crack in a bone in your nose.
Deviated septum occurs when your nasal septum is significantly displaced to one side, making one nostril smaller than the other.
Sleep apnea causes people to repeatedly stop breathing during their sleep. Common signs of this sleep disorder include loud snores punctuated by periods of silence.
Obstructive sleep apnea is the most common type of sleep apnea — a condition that causes you to repeatedly stop breathing while you sleep.
Aug. 13, 2013
- Septoplasty and turbinate surgery. American Rhinologic Society. http://care.american-rhinologic.org/septoplasty_turbinates. Accessed May 15, 2013.
- Fact sheet: Deviated septum. American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/deviatedSeptum.cfm. Accessed May 15, 2013.
- Flint PW, et al. Cummings Otolaryngology: Head & Neck Surgery. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05283-2..X0001-8--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05283-2&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed May 17, 2013.
- Preparing for nose surgery. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/nose-surgery-.html?sub=Preparing%20for%20nose%20surgery. Accessed May 15, 2013.
- Q & A: Stop smoking. American Society of Anesthesiologists. http://www.lifelinetomodernmedicine.com/Anesthesia-Topics/QA-Stop-Smoking.aspx. Accessed May 17, 2013.
- What to expect during your nose surgery consultation. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/nose-surgery-.html?sub=What%20to%20expect%20during%20your%20nose%20surgery%20consultation. Accessed May 17, 2013.
- Pallanch JF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 23, 2013.