Inattention and hyperactive, impulsive behavior can be challenging for both children and their families. But appropriate treatment for ADHD can make a real difference.
Do you feel trapped in your own home? Do you worry about having a panic attack? Find out how agoraphobia can be treated.
Lying, manipulation and violence without remorse are hallmarks of antisocial personality disorder. Mental health treatment can help reduce some symptoms over time.
Do you have atypical depression?
Borderline personality disorder is distressing for both those who have it and those around them. With proper treatment, though, life can be more enjoyable.
Bulimia often leads to a secret life of shame. Find out what's behind this life-threatening disease and how to treat it.
If a child tells you he or she is being abused, take the situation seriously. Here's how to respond.
Childhood schizophrenia is confusing and heart wrenching. Learn about managing this serious psychotic disorder.
Don't let gambling get out control. Review treatment strategies and coping skills for compulsive gambling.
Cyclothymia may be a mild form of bipolar disorder, but your fluctuating moods can have serious consequences. Learn about treatment options.
Take control of your mood and health. Explore the many depression treatment options and learn coping skills.
People with dissociative disorders escape their reality in involuntary, unhealthy ways, ranging from suppressing memories to assuming alternate identities. Recovery is possible.
Dizziness is one of the most common health concerns. However, few cases of dizziness are due to serious conditions.
Dysthymia is a mild but long-term form of depression that can greatly reduce your quality of life. Learn about dysthymia symptoms and treatment options.
Encephalitis is inflammation of the brain usually caused by a viral infection. Severe cases can cause brain damage, even death.
Encopresis occurs when a child resists having bowel movements, causing stool to collect in the colon and rectum. Leakage of liquid stool also is common.
People with hypochondria aren't merely seeking attention. They sincerely believe they're sick. Learn about the causes and treatment of this condition.
Klinefelter syndrome is a genetic disorder that affects hormone levels in males. Discover what causes it — and what treatments are available.
Looking for a mental health provider but not sure where to start? Here are tips, questions to ask and issues to consider.
Irresistible urges to repetitively count, check or wash are common obsessive-compulsive disorder symptoms. Treatment can help, so don't let shame hold you back.
Panic attacks can make you feel like you're having a heart attack. Learn how to manage these intense bursts of fear.
Personality disorders affect the way you think, behave and relate to others. Learn about symptoms and treatments.
Living through a traumatic event can leave lasting scars. Medications, therapy and coping skills can help you regain a sense of control.
Radiation sickness is the effect of high doses of radiation on the body. The severity of illness depends on how much radiation the body absorbs.
People with schizoaffective disorder have certain symptoms of both schizophrenia and a mood disorder, such as depression or bipolar disorder.
People with schizoid personality disorder tend to be loners who have trouble expressing themselves and maintaining intimate relationships.
People with schizotypal personalities have few friends, act peculiar and often entertain distorted perceptions of reality.
People who self-injure can learn new coping and problem-solving skills to replace harmful behaviors.
Understand the warning signs and causes of suicide. You may be able to save a life — possibly your own.
All teens feel down from time to time. But if negative feelings persist or start to interfere with daily life, it might be depression.
Is your teen at risk of suicide? Get the facts.
The tics of Tourette syndrome can cause distress and anxiety, especially for children. Understand this condition, its treatments and how to cope.
Transverse myelitis — inflammation of the insulating material that covers nerve cells in your spine (myelin) — causes pain, muscle weakness and other problems.
Hair pulling isn't always a habit that's easily stopped. But behavioral techniques can help you understand why you pull hair and gain better control.
Jan. 05, 2013
- Lebow J. Overview of psychotherapy. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Nov. 7, 2012.
- Let's talk facts about psychotherapy. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.healthyminds.org/document-library/brochure-library/lets-talk-facts-psychotherapy.aspx. Accessed Nov. 7, 2012.
- Different approaches to psychotherapy. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/topics/therapy/psychotherapy-approaches.aspx. Accessed Nov. 7, 2012.
- Occupational outlook handbook. Mental health counselors and marriage and family therapists. Bureau of Labor Statistics. http://www.bls.gov/ooh/community-and-social-service/mental-health-counselors-and-marriage-and-family-therapists.htm#tab-1. Accessed Nov. 6, 2012.
- How to choose a psychologist. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/choose-therapist.aspx. Accessed Nov. 7, 2012.
- Norcross JC. Evidence-based therapy relationships. http://www.nrepp.samhsa.gov/Norcross.aspx. Accessed Nov. 7, 2012.
- Ethical principles of psychologists and code of conduct: Including 2010 amendments. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/ethics/code/index.aspx?item=1. Accessed Dec. 6, 2012.
- Kung S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 20, 2012.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 18, 2012.