Prostate laser surgery improves urinary flow in most men. Often, results are long lasting. In some cases, especially ablation techniques, the laser surgery doesn't remove all of the prostate tissue blocking urine flow or the tissue grows back, and further treatment is needed. If you notice any worsening urinary symptoms, make an appointment to see your doctor.
Jul. 23, 2013
- Management of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). American Urological Association. http://www.auanet.org/education/clinical-practice-guidelines.cfm. Accessed April 16, 2013.
- Gravas S, et al. Critical review of lasers in benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). BJU International. 2011;107:1030.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1445/0.html. Accessed April 16, 2013.
- Lee J, et al. Advances in laser technology in urology. Urology Clinics of North America. 2009;36:189.
- Rieken M, et al. Complications of laser prostatectomy: A review of recent data. World Journal of Urology. 2010;28:53.
- Ahyai SA, et al. Meta-analysis of functional outcomes and complications following transurethral procedures for lower urinary tract symptoms resulting from benign prostatic enlargement. European Urology. 2010;58:384.
- Gnessin E, et al. An update on holmium laser enucleation of the prostate and why it has stood the test of time. Current Opinion in Urology. 2011;21:31.
- Prostate enlargement: Benign prostatic hyperplasia. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/prostateenlargement. Accessed April 16, 2013.
- McVary KT, et al. Update on AUA Guideline on the Management of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. Journal of Urology. 2011;185:1793.
- Cunningham GR, et al. Surgical and other invasive therapies of benign prostatic hyperplasia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 16, 2013.
- Preparing for your operation and recover. American College of Surgeons. http://www.facs.org/patienteducation/surgery.html. Accessed April 16, 2013.
- Humphreys MR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix, Ariz. May 22, 2013.