Prostate brachytherapy may cause side effects, including:
- Difficulty starting urination
- Frequently feeling an urgent need to urinate
- Feeling a burning sensation when urinating
- Blood in urine
- Needing to urinate at night
- Not being able to empty your bladder completely
- Narrowing of the tube that carries urine from your bladder to the outside of your body (urethra)
- Erectile dysfunction
- Bleeding from the rectum
- Blood in stool
Doctors may often use medications to reduce side effects of treatment. Side effects of prostate brachytherapy may become less noticeable over time.
Nov. 23, 2016
- Prostate cancer. National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/patients/guidelines/prostate/index.html. Accessed Sept. 26, 2016.
- Wein AJ, et al., eds. Radiation therapy for prostate cancer. In: Campbell-Walsh Urology. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2016. http://wwwclinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 5, 2016.
- What is brachytherapy? American Brachytherapy Society. https://www.americanbrachytherapy.org/aboutbrachytherapy/whatis.cfm. Accessed Oct. 15, 2016.
- Chao MWT, et al. Brachytherapy: State-of-the-art radiotherapy in prostate cancer. BJUI International. 2015;116 (suppl 3):S80.
- Prostate cancer treatment. National Institutes of Health. https://www.cancer.gov/types/prostate/hp/prostate-treatment-pdq#section/all. Accessed Oct. 5, 2016.
- Brachytherapy. RadiologyInfo.org. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=brachy. Accessed Oct. 5, 2016.
- Radiation therapy for prostate cancer. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/cancer/prostatecancer/detailedguide/prostate-cancer-treating-radiation-therapy. Accessed Oct. 5, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Prostate cancer. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Roach M, et al. Brachytherapy for localized prostate cancer. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 5, 2016.
- Alizad A, et al. Application of vibro-acoustography in prostate tissue imaging. Medical Physics. 2013;40:022902-01.
- Davis BJ, et al. American Brachytherapy Society consensus guidelines for transrectal ultrasound-guided permanent prostate brachytherapy. Brachytherapy. 2012;11:6.