After prostate brachytherapy, you may undergo follow-up blood tests to measure the level of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) in your blood. These tests may give your doctor an idea of whether treatment has been successful. Ask your doctor when you can expect to know whether your prostate cancer is responding to treatment.
Nov. 23, 2016
- Prostate cancer. National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/patients/guidelines/prostate/index.html. Accessed Sept. 26, 2016.
- Wein AJ, et al., eds. Radiation therapy for prostate cancer. In: Campbell-Walsh Urology. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2016. http://wwwclinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 5, 2016.
- What is brachytherapy? American Brachytherapy Society. https://www.americanbrachytherapy.org/aboutbrachytherapy/whatis.cfm. Accessed Oct. 15, 2016.
- Chao MWT, et al. Brachytherapy: State-of-the-art radiotherapy in prostate cancer. BJUI International. 2015;116 (suppl 3):S80.
- Prostate cancer treatment. National Institutes of Health. https://www.cancer.gov/types/prostate/hp/prostate-treatment-pdq#section/all. Accessed Oct. 5, 2016.
- Brachytherapy. RadiologyInfo.org. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=brachy. Accessed Oct. 5, 2016.
- Radiation therapy for prostate cancer. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/cancer/prostatecancer/detailedguide/prostate-cancer-treating-radiation-therapy. Accessed Oct. 5, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Prostate cancer. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Roach M, et al. Brachytherapy for localized prostate cancer. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 5, 2016.
- Alizad A, et al. Application of vibro-acoustography in prostate tissue imaging. Medical Physics. 2013;40:022902-01.
- Davis BJ, et al. American Brachytherapy Society consensus guidelines for transrectal ultrasound-guided permanent prostate brachytherapy. Brachytherapy. 2012;11:6.