The effectiveness of permanent prostate brachytherapy depends on how the radioactive seeds are distributed. Researchers at Mayo Clinic study imaging techniques to improve the results of permanent prostate brachytherapy treatment. They have conducted tests on human tissue that produce clear, three-dimensional images of the prostate within a few minutes.
Vibro-acoustography uses ultrasound (high-energy sound waves) to cause tissue to vibrate. Cancerous tissue is denser (harder) than normal tissue, and vibro-acoustography is particularly sensitive to hard objects. Vibro-acoustography makes it possible to place brachytherapy seeds, check their position and correct placement in one procedure.
See a list of publications from Mayo Clinic doctors on permanent prostate brachytherapy on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Feb. 26, 2014
- Prostate cancer: NCCN guidelines for patients. National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/patients/guidelines/prostate/index.html. Accessed Sept. 26, 2013.
- Wein AJ, ed., et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://wwwclinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 26, 2013.
- Pisansky TM, et al. High-dose-rate brachytherapy in the curative treatment of patients with localized prostate cancer. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2008;83:1364.
- Stock RG, et al. Current topics in the treatment of prostate cancer with low-dose-rate brachytherapy. Urologic Clinics of North America. 2010;37:83.
- Prostate cancer treatment. National Institutes of Health. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/prostate/HealthProfessional/page1/AllPages. Accessed Sept. 26, 2013.
- Brachytherapy. RadiologyInfo.org. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=brachy. Accessed Sept. 26, 2013.
- Radiation therapy for prostate cancer. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/cancer/prostatecancer/detailedguide/prostate-cancer-treating-radiation-therapy. Accessed Sept. 26, 2013.
- Prostate cancer. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Roach M, et al. Brachytherapy for localized prostate cancer. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 26, 2013.
- Mitri FG, et al. Vibro-acoustography imaging of permanent prostate brachytherapy seeds in an excised human prostate: Preliminary results and technical feasibility. Ultrasonics. 2009;49:389.
- Davis BJ, et al. American Brachytherapy Society consensus guidelines for transrectal ultrasound-guided permanent prostate brachytherapy. Brachytherapy. 2012;11:6.