Prostate brachytherapy may cause side effects, including:
- Difficulty starting urination
- Frequently feeling an urgent need to urinate
- Feeling a burning sensation when urinating
- Blood in urine
- Needing to urinate at night
- Not being able to empty your bladder completely
- Narrowing of the tube that carries urine from your bladder to the outside of your body (urethra)
- Erectile dysfunction
- Bleeding from the rectum
- Blood in stool
Doctors may often use medications to reduce side effects of treatment. Side effects of prostate brachytherapy may become less noticeable over time.
Feb. 26, 2014
- Prostate cancer: NCCN guidelines for patients. National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/patients/guidelines/prostate/index.html. Accessed Sept. 26, 2013.
- Wein AJ, ed., et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://wwwclinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 26, 2013.
- Pisansky TM, et al. High-dose-rate brachytherapy in the curative treatment of patients with localized prostate cancer. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2008;83:1364.
- Stock RG, et al. Current topics in the treatment of prostate cancer with low-dose-rate brachytherapy. Urologic Clinics of North America. 2010;37:83.
- Prostate cancer treatment. National Institutes of Health. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/prostate/HealthProfessional/page1/AllPages. Accessed Sept. 26, 2013.
- Brachytherapy. RadiologyInfo.org. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=brachy. Accessed Sept. 26, 2013.
- Radiation therapy for prostate cancer. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/cancer/prostatecancer/detailedguide/prostate-cancer-treating-radiation-therapy. Accessed Sept. 26, 2013.
- Prostate cancer. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Roach M, et al. Brachytherapy for localized prostate cancer. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 26, 2013.
- Mitri FG, et al. Vibro-acoustography imaging of permanent prostate brachytherapy seeds in an excised human prostate: Preliminary results and technical feasibility. Ultrasonics. 2009;49:389.
- Davis BJ, et al. American Brachytherapy Society consensus guidelines for transrectal ultrasound-guided permanent prostate brachytherapy. Brachytherapy. 2012;11:6.