After prostate brachytherapy, you may undergo follow-up blood tests to measure the level of prostate-specific antigen (PSA) in your blood. These tests may give your doctor an idea of whether treatment has been successful. Ask your doctor when you can expect to know whether your prostate cancer is responding to treatment.
Feb. 26, 2014
- Prostate cancer: NCCN guidelines for patients. National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/patients/guidelines/prostate/index.html. Accessed Sept. 26, 2013.
- Wein AJ, ed., et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://wwwclinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 26, 2013.
- Pisansky TM, et al. High-dose-rate brachytherapy in the curative treatment of patients with localized prostate cancer. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2008;83:1364.
- Stock RG, et al. Current topics in the treatment of prostate cancer with low-dose-rate brachytherapy. Urologic Clinics of North America. 2010;37:83.
- Prostate cancer treatment. National Institutes of Health. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/prostate/HealthProfessional/page1/AllPages. Accessed Sept. 26, 2013.
- Brachytherapy. RadiologyInfo.org. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=brachy. Accessed Sept. 26, 2013.
- Radiation therapy for prostate cancer. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/cancer/prostatecancer/detailedguide/prostate-cancer-treating-radiation-therapy. Accessed Sept. 26, 2013.
- Prostate cancer. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Roach M, et al. Brachytherapy for localized prostate cancer. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 26, 2013.
- Mitri FG, et al. Vibro-acoustography imaging of permanent prostate brachytherapy seeds in an excised human prostate: Preliminary results and technical feasibility. Ultrasonics. 2009;49:389.
- Davis BJ, et al. American Brachytherapy Society consensus guidelines for transrectal ultrasound-guided permanent prostate brachytherapy. Brachytherapy. 2012;11:6.