Though anal cancer is rare, incidence of anal cancer is increasing. Find out the symptoms and causes of cancer of the anal canal.
Carcinoid tumors are rare, slow-growing cancerous tumors that most often occur in the gastrointestinal tract or in the lungs.
Reduce your risk of esophageal cancer by eating more fruits and vegetables.
Smoking increases your risk of lung cancer. Quit now and reduce your risk.
Merkel cell carcinoma is a rare, aggressive skin cancer. Chronic sun exposure or a weak immune system may increase your risk of developing it.
Mesothelioma is a type of cancer closely linked to asbestos exposure. Find out the signs and symptoms of malignant mesothelioma and how to protect yourself.
Mouth cancer includes cancer that occurs in the mouth or on the lips.
Nasopharyngeal carcinoma is rare in the United States but more common in some other parts of the world.
Primary progressive aphasia is a rare neurological syndrome that slowly and progressively impairs language capabilities.
If you have symptoms of heart disease, but your doctor doesn't see any blocked major arteries, small vessel disease may be the cause.
Reduce your risk of stomach cancer by eating more fruits and vegetables.
The most common throat cancers are linked to smoking and excessive alcohol use.
Vaginal cancer is a rare cancer that typically occurs in older women.
Cancer of the vulva, the outer part of the female genitalia, is rare. It occurs most often in older women.
May 06, 2014
- Javery O, et al. FDG PET or PET/CT in patients with pancreatic cancer: When does it add to diagnostic CT or MRI? Clinical Imaging 37;2013:295.
- Murphy JG, et al., eds. Mayo Clinic Cardiology: Concise Textbook. 4th ed. New York, N.Y.: Oxford University Press; 2013:130.
- Ziessman HA, et al. Nuclear Medicine: The Requisites. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014.
- Positron emission tomography — Computed tomography (PET/CT). Radiological Society of North America. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=PET. Accessed Dec. 11, 2013.
- About nuclear medicine and molecular imaging. Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging. http://www.snmmi.org/AboutSNMMI/Content.aspx?ItemNumber=6433&navItemNumber=756. Accessed Dec. 11, 2013.
- About PET scans. American College of Radiology Imaging Network. http://www.acrin.org/patients/aboutimagingexamsandagents/aboutpetscans.aspx. Accessed Dec. 11, 2013.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 20, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. Lung cancer surveillance in at-risk patients. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Mitchell CR, et al. Operational characteristics of (11)c-choline positron emission tomography/computerized tomography for prostate cancer with biochemical recurrence after initial treatment. Journal of Urology. 2013;189:1308.
- ACR appropriateness criteria pretreatment staging of colorectal cancer. Rockville, Md.: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. http://www.guideline.gov/content.aspx?id=35139. Accessed Dec. 19, 2013.
- FDA approves production of imaging agent that helps detect prostate cancer. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm319201.htm. Accessed Dec. 18, 2013.