Though anal cancer is rare, incidence of anal cancer is increasing. Find out the symptoms and causes of cancer of the anal canal.
Bone cancer is an uncommon type of cancer that begins in a bone. It can affect both adults and children.
Bone metastasis occurs when cancer spreads to the bones.
Breast cancer is the disease that many women fear most. But early detection and lifestyle changes may reduce your risk.
Carcinoid tumors are rare, slow-growing cancerous tumors that most often occur in the gastrointestinal tract or in the lungs.
Castleman disease is a rare illness that affects your lymph nodes and other immune-cell structures of your body.
Epilepsy disrupts the normal electrical activity inside your brain. Symptoms and causes can vary, but medication is usually very effective.
Reduce your risk of esophageal cancer by eating more fruits and vegetables.
Frontotemporal dementia is a group of rare brain disorders that affect the lobes of the brain that control speech and personality.
Hodgkin's lymphoma (Hodgkin's disease) is cancer of the lymphatic system. Many early symptoms of this cancer resemble those of the flu.
Hurthle cell cancer is a rare type of thyroid cancer. Surgical removal of the thyroid gland is usually required.
Smoking increases your risk of lung cancer. Quit now and reduce your risk.
Merkel cell carcinoma is a rare, aggressive skin cancer. Chronic sun exposure or a weak immune system may increase your risk of developing it.
Mesothelioma is a type of cancer closely linked to asbestos exposure. Find out the signs and symptoms of malignant mesothelioma and how to protect yourself.
Mouth cancer includes cancer that occurs in the mouth or on the lips.
Multiple myeloma is cancer of your bone marrow plasma cells. The disease can make you prone to infections and damage your bones and kidneys.
Nasopharyngeal carcinoma is rare in the United States but more common in some other parts of the world.
Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is cancer originating in the lymphatic system. It's caused by abnormal white blood cells, and often the only sign is swollen lymph nodes.
Primary progressive aphasia is a rare neurological syndrome that slowly and progressively impairs language capabilities.
Salivary gland cancer is a rare form of cancer that often begins with a painless lump in the mouth, throat or neck.
If you have symptoms of heart disease, but your doctor doesn't see any blocked major arteries, small vessel disease may be the cause.
Soft tissue sarcomas are uncommon cancers that originate in the soft tissues of your body.
Reduce your risk of stomach cancer by eating more fruits and vegetables.
The most common throat cancers are linked to smoking and excessive alcohol use.
Vaginal cancer is a rare cancer that typically occurs in older women.
Cancer of the vulva, the outer part of the female genitalia, is rare. It occurs most often in older women.
May. 06, 2014
- Javery O, et al. FDG PET or PET/CT in patients with pancreatic cancer: When does it add to diagnostic CT or MRI? Clinical Imaging 37;2013:295.
- Murphy JG, et al., eds. Mayo Clinic Cardiology: Concise Textbook. 4th ed. New York, N.Y.: Oxford University Press; 2013:130.
- Ziessman HA, et al. Nuclear Medicine: The Requisites. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014.
- Positron emission tomography — Computed tomography (PET/CT). Radiological Society of North America. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=PET. Accessed Dec. 11, 2013.
- About nuclear medicine and molecular imaging. Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging. http://www.snmmi.org/AboutSNMMI/Content.aspx?ItemNumber=6433&navItemNumber=756. Accessed Dec. 11, 2013.
- About PET scans. American College of Radiology Imaging Network. http://www.acrin.org/patients/aboutimagingexamsandagents/aboutpetscans.aspx. Accessed Dec. 11, 2013.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 20, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. Lung cancer surveillance in at-risk patients. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Mitchell CR, et al. Operational characteristics of (11)c-choline positron emission tomography/computerized tomography for prostate cancer with biochemical recurrence after initial treatment. Journal of Urology. 2013;189:1308.
- ACR appropriateness criteria pretreatment staging of colorectal cancer. Rockville, Md.: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. http://www.guideline.gov/content.aspx?id=35139. Accessed Dec. 19, 2013.
- FDA approves production of imaging agent that helps detect prostate cancer. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm319201.htm. Accessed Dec. 18, 2013.