Mayo Clinic's highly specialized radiology teams perform and interpret more than 14,000 PET scans each year. This large number of cases, integrated with ongoing research and education, results in broad expertise in the imaging and treatment of diseases affecting people of all ages.
Mayo Clinic developed a technology to pinpoint prostate cancers that recur after treatment. Called Choline C-11 PET scan, this test is available at Mayo Clinic to men with recurrent or difficult-to-treat prostate cancer.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., and Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for cancer.
June 09, 2017
- Javery O, et al. FDG PET or PET/CT in patients with pancreatic cancer: When does it add to diagnostic CT or MRI? Clinical Imaging 37;2013:295.
- Murphy JG, et al., eds. Positron emission tomography. In: Mayo Clinic Cardiology: Concise Textbook. 4th ed. New York, N.Y.: Oxford University Press; 2013.
- Ziessman HA, et al. Nuclear Medicine: The Requisites. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014.
- Positron emission tomography — Computed tomography (PET/CT). Radiological Society of North America. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=PET. Accessed Feb. 8, 2017.
- About nuclear medicine and molecular imaging. Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging. http://www.snmmi.org/AboutSNMMI/Content.aspx?ItemNumber=6433&navItemNumber=756. Accessed Feb. 8, 2017.
- About PET scans. American College of Radiology Imaging Network. http://www.acrin.org/patients/aboutimagingexamsandagents/aboutpetscans.aspx. Accessed Feb. 8, 2017.
- Longo DL, et al., eds. Neuroimaging in neurologic disorders. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 19th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed Feb. 10, 2017.
- FDA approves production of imaging agent that helps detect prostate cancer. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm319201.htm. Accessed Feb. 2, 2017.
- Sobol I, et al. Contemporary mapping of post-prostatectomy prostate cancer relapse with C-choline positron emission tomography and multiparametric magnetic resonance imaging. Journal of Urology. 2017;197:129.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 14, 2017.
Positron emission tomography scan