Peritoneal dialysis (per-ih-tuh-NEE-ul di-AL-uh-sis) is a way to remove waste products from your blood when your kidneys can no longer do the job adequately. During peritoneal dialysis, blood vessels in your abdominal lining (peritoneum) fill in for your kidneys, with the help of a fluid (dialysate) that flows into and out of the peritoneal space.
Peritoneal dialysis differs from hemodialysis, a more commonly used blood-filtering procedure. With peritoneal dialysis, you can give yourself treatments at home, at work or while traveling. You may be able to use fewer medications and eat a less restrictive diet than you can with hemodialysis.
Peritoneal dialysis isn't an option for everyone with kidney failure. You need manual dexterity and the ability to care for yourself at home or a reliable caregiver.
May. 21, 2013
- Peritoneal dialysis: What you need to know. National Kidney Foundation. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/peritoneal/. Accessed April 16, 2013.
- Papadakis MA, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2013. 52nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed April 16, 2013.
- Chaudhary K, et al. Peritoneal dialysis first: Rationale. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2011;6:447.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed April 16, 2013.
- Post TW, et al. Overview of the management of chronic kidney disease in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 16, 2013.
- Lerma EV, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Nephrology & Hypertension. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=628. Accessed April 16, 2013.
- Peritoneal dialysis. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/genitourinary_disorders/renal_replacement_therapy/peritoneal_dialysis.html#v1054643. Accessed April 18, 2013.
- Peritoneal dialysis: What you need to know. National Kidney Foundation. http://www.kidney.org/atoz/pdf/peritonealdialysis.pdf. Accessed April 16, 2013.
- Anderson CF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 20, 2013.