How you prepareBy Mayo Clinic Staff
If you are about 24 weeks pregnant, you will be asked to avoid eating or drinking after midnight the night before cordocentesis. This is because certain complications caused by the procedure might require an emergency C-section. Ask your health care provider for guidance.
You might want to ask your partner or another close contact to accompany you to the appointment for emotional support or to drive you home afterward.
Oct. 08, 2015
- Ghidini A. Fetal blood sampling. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 14, 2015.
- Grace D, et al. Training for percutaneous umbilical blood sampling during Maternal Fetal Medicine fellowship in the United States. Prenatal Diagnosis. 2009;29:790.
- Cunningham FG, et al. Prenatal diagnosis. In: Williams Obstetrics. 24th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed Aug. 14, 2015.
- Collins SL, et al. Prenatal diagnosis: Types and techniques. Early Human Development. 2012;88:3.
- Fischbach FT, et al. Prenatal diagnosis and tests of fetal well-being. In: A Manual of Laboratory and Diagnostic Tests. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2014.