Diabetes affects how your body uses blood sugar. Too much blood sugar over long periods can cause serious health problems, but treatments are available.
June 24, 2016
- Klein CL, et al. Patient selection for and immunologic issues relating to kidney-pancreas transplantation in diabetes mellitus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 21, 2016.
- Klein C, et al. Benefits and complications associated with kidney-pancreas transplantation in diabetes mellitus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 21, 2016.
- Pancreas transplantation. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/transplantation/pancreas-transplantation.html. Accessed March 21, 2016.
- Robertson RP. Pancreas and islet transplantation in diabetes mellitus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 21, 2016.
- Health after transplantation. American Society of Transplantation. http://www.healthytransplant.com/health_maintenance/health_after_transplantation.aspx Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Preparing for the transplant. American Society of Transplantation. http://www.healthytransplant.com/health_maintenance/preparing_for_transplant.aspx. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Kidney-pancreas transplant. National Kidney Foundation. http://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/kidpantx.cfm. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients 2012 Annual Data Report: Pancreas. Health Resources and Services Administration.
http://srtr.transplant.hrsa.gov/annual_reports/2012. Accessed April 12, 2016.
- Chakkera HA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix, Arizona. April 12, 2016.
- Side effects. UNOS Transplant Living. http://transplantliving.org/after-the-transplant/medications/side-effects/. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Pancreas transplant. National Kidney Foundation. https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/pancreastx. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Heilman RL, et al. Immunosuppression in simultaneous pancreas-kidney transplantation. Drugs. 2010;70:793.
- Kandaswamy R, et al. Pancreas. American Journal of Transplantation. 2016;16(suppl 2):47.
- Pancreas. Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network. https://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/data/organ-datasource/pancreas/. Accessed March 23, 2016.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Pancreas transplant. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Pancreas. PubMed Health. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMHT0015631/. Accessed April 7, 2016.
- Guidance for industry: Considerations for allogeneic pancreatic islet cell products. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/CellularandGeneTherapy/ucm182440.htm. Accessed March 28, 2016.
- Pancreatic islet transplantation. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/Diabetes/pancreatic-islet-transplantation/Pages/index.aspx. Accessed March 28, 2016.
- Kudva YC, et al. Comprehensive immune monitoring reveals profound immunological changes in pancreas after kidney (PAK) transplant recipients. Human Immunology. 2013;74:738.
- Reddy KS, et al. Alemtuzumab with rapid steroid taper in simultaneous kidney and pancreas transplantation: Comparison to induction with antithymocyte globulin. Transplantation Proceedings. 2010;42:2006.
- Riggin ER. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 6, 2016.
- Procedure details
- More about