Bundle branch block is a disorder that affects the electrical impulses traveling to your heart. It may be a sign of underlying heart disease.
Enlarged heart is often a sign of a serious heart condition. Find out causes and treatments for enlarged heart.
Heart disease, usually thought of as blockages in the arteries that can cause a heart attack, can describe any medical condition affecting your heart.
Long QT syndrome is an electrical disturbance that can cause sudden, rapid heart rates. It can be genetic or a side effect of medication.
Tachycardia, a rapid heart rate, is caused by an abnormality in your heart's electrical impulses. Tachycardia can cause serious complications, including sudden cardiac arrest.
April 10, 2013
- Tracy CM, et al. 2012 ACCF/AHA/HRS focused update of the 2008 guidelines for device-based therapy of cardiac rhythm abnormalities — A report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2012;144:e27.
- What is a pacemaker? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/pace/. Accessed Jan. 29, 2013.
- What is a pacemaker? American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@hcm/documents/downloadable/ucm_300451.pdf. Accessed Jan. 29, 2013.
- How the healthy heart works. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/CongenitalHeartDefects/AboutCongenitalHeartDefects/How-the-Healthy-Heart-Works_UCM_307016_Article.jsp. Accessed Jan. 26, 2013.
- Fuster V, ed., et al. Hurst's The Heart. 13th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=5. Accessed Jan. 28, 2013.
- Goldberger AL, et al. Clinical Electrocardiography: A simplified approach. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier Saunders; 2013. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08786-5..C2010-0-67269-5&isbn=978-0-323-08786-5&uniqId=402077730-3#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08786-5..C2010-0-67269-5--TOP. Accessed Jan. 29, 2013.
- Saxon LA, et al. Overview of cardiac pacing in heart failure. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 29, 2013.
- McKean SC, et al. Principles and Practice of Hospital Medicine. New York, N.Y: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=749. Accessed Jan. 25, 2013.
- Lampert R, et al. HRS Expert Consensus Statement on the Management of Cardiovascular Implantable Electronic Devices (CIEDs) in patients nearing end of life or requesting withdrawal of therapy. 2010;7:1008.
- Grogan M (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 17, 2013.