You might consider otoplasty if:
- Your ear or ears stick out too far from your head
- Your ears are large in proportion to your head
Otoplasty is typically done on both ears to optimize symmetry.
Otoplasty can be done at any age after the ears have reached their full size — usually after age 5.
Otoplasty won't change the location of your ears or alter your ability to hear.
Aug. 23, 2012
- Otoplasty. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/Cosmetic-Procedures/Ear-Surgery.html. Accessed June 22, 2012.
- Thorne CH, et al. Grabb and Smith's Plastic Surgery. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Wolters Kluwer Health Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2007:1.
- Ear surgery. The American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. http://www.aafprs.org/patient/procedures/otoplasty.html. Accessed June 28, 2012.
- Bite U (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 11, 2012.