Aging isn't glamorous, but you're not necessarily at the mercy of Mother Nature. Find out how healthy lifestyle choices can influence the way you age.
Can't go like you used to? Prostate gland enlargement can make urination difficult. Treatments for this common condition range from self-care to surgery.
Jul. 23, 2013
- Management of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). American Urological Association. http://www.auanet.org/content/guidelines-and-quality-care/clinical-guidelines.cfm. Accessed April 12, 2013.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6911-9..C2009-1-60786-3--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6911-9&uniqId=310232887-6. Accessed April 12, 2013.
- Thiel DD, et al. Electroresection and open surgery. Urologic Clinics of North America. 2009;36:461.
- Graham SD, et al. Glenn's Urologic Surgery. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Wolters Kluwer Health Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2010:166.
- Prostate enlargement: Benign prostatic hyperplasia. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/KUDiseases/pubs/prostateenlargement/index.aspx. Accessed April 12, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. Benign prostatic hyperplasia. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Cunningham GR, et al. Surgical and other invasive therapies of benign prostatic hyperplasia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 11, 2013.
- Preparing for your operation and recover. American College of Surgeons. http://www.facs.org/patienteducation/surgery.html. Accessed April 11, 2013.
- Update on AUA guideline on the management of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Journal of Urology. 2011;185:1793.