Open simple prostatectomy eases urinary symptoms and complications resulting from blocked urine flow. These can include:
- A frequent, urgent need to urinate
- Difficulty starting urination
- Slow (prolonged) urination
- Increased frequency of urination at night (nocturia)
- Stopping and starting again while urinating
- The feeling you can't completely empty your bladder
- Urinary tract infections
- Inability to urinate
Open simple prostatectomy may also be done to treat or prevent complications due to blocked urine flow, such as:
- Recurring or persistent urinary tract infections
- Kidney or bladder damage
- Inability to control urination (incontinence)
- Recurring blood in your urine
- Bladder stones
Because open simple prostatectomy has a higher risk of complications and a longer recovery time than other procedures, it is typically reserved for men who have:
Jul. 23, 2013
- A very enlarged prostate
- Bladder problems or other problems that can also be repaired during surgery
- Bladder stones
- Severe bleeding (hemorrhage) from the prostate
- Management of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). American Urological Association. http://www.auanet.org/content/guidelines-and-quality-care/clinical-guidelines.cfm. Accessed April 12, 2013.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6911-9..C2009-1-60786-3--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6911-9&uniqId=310232887-6. Accessed April 12, 2013.
- Thiel DD, et al. Electroresection and open surgery. Urologic Clinics of North America. 2009;36:461.
- Graham SD, et al. Glenn's Urologic Surgery. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Wolters Kluwer Health Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2010:166.
- Prostate enlargement: Benign prostatic hyperplasia. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/KUDiseases/pubs/prostateenlargement/index.aspx. Accessed April 12, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. Benign prostatic hyperplasia. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Cunningham GR, et al. Surgical and other invasive therapies of benign prostatic hyperplasia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 11, 2013.
- Preparing for your operation and recover. American College of Surgeons. http://www.facs.org/patienteducation/surgery.html. Accessed April 11, 2013.
- Update on AUA guideline on the management of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Journal of Urology. 2011;185:1793.