Open simple prostatectomy is a surgery used to relieve urinary symptoms caused by an enlarged prostate, a condition called benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). Open simple prostatectomy is generally recommended for men who have severe urinary symptoms and very enlarged prostates. The surgery does not remove the entire prostate, as is done in a prostate cancer operation, but removes just the obstructive part of the prostate that blocks the flow of urine.
During open simple prostatectomy, the part of your prostate blocking urine flow is removed through a cut (incision) below your navel. It may be done by making several smaller incisions in the abdomen through a technique called laparoscopy or with the assistance of a robot to accomplish the same thing.
Jul. 23, 2013
- Management of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). American Urological Association. http://www.auanet.org/content/guidelines-and-quality-care/clinical-guidelines.cfm. Accessed April 12, 2013.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6911-9..C2009-1-60786-3--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6911-9&uniqId=310232887-6. Accessed April 12, 2013.
- Thiel DD, et al. Electroresection and open surgery. Urologic Clinics of North America. 2009;36:461.
- Graham SD, et al. Glenn's Urologic Surgery. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Wolters Kluwer Health Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2010:166.
- Prostate enlargement: Benign prostatic hyperplasia. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/KUDiseases/pubs/prostateenlargement/index.aspx. Accessed April 12, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. Benign prostatic hyperplasia. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Cunningham GR, et al. Surgical and other invasive therapies of benign prostatic hyperplasia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 11, 2013.
- Preparing for your operation and recover. American College of Surgeons. http://www.facs.org/patienteducation/surgery.html. Accessed April 11, 2013.
- Update on AUA guideline on the management of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Journal of Urology. 2011;185:1793.