Oophorectomy may be performed for:
- A tubo-ovarian abscess — a pus-filled pocket involving a fallopian tube and an ovary
- Ovarian cancer
- Noncancerous (benign) ovarian tumors or cysts
- Reducing the risk of ovarian cancer or breast cancer in women at increased risk
- Ovarian torsion — the twisting of an ovary
Oophorectomy combined with other procedures
Oophorectomy can be done alone, but it is often done as part of a more complete surgery to remove the uterus (hysterectomy) in women who have undergone menopause.
In women with an increased risk of ovarian cancer, oophorectomy is commonly combined with surgery to remove the nearby fallopian tubes (salpingectomy) since they share a common blood supply with the ovaries. When combined, the procedure is called salpingo-oophorectomy.
Apr. 24, 2014
- Hoffman BL, et al. Williams Gynecology. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. ttp://accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=768. Accessed Dec. 3, 2013
- DeCherney AH, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment Obstetrics & Gynecology. 11th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=788. Accessed Dec. 3, 2013.
- Valea FA, et al. Oophorectomy and ovarian cystectomy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 9, 2013.
- Tomasso SK, et al. Incidence, time trends, laterality, indications, and pathological findings of unilateral oophorectomy before menopause. Menopause. In press. Accessed Dec. 9, 2013.
- Finch A, et al. Quality of life and health status after prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy in women who carry a BRCA mutation: A review. Maturitas. 2011;70:261.
- Lentz GM, et al. Comprehensive Gynecology. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 9, 2013.
- Mann WJ. Overview of preoperative evaluation and preparation for gynecologic surgery. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 9, 2013.
- Krill LS, et al. Robotic surgery: Gynecology oncology. The Cancer Journal. 2013;19;167.
- Magrina JF, et al. Robotic approach for ovarian cancer: Perioperative and survival results and comparison with laparoscopy and laparotomy. Gynecologic Oncology. 2011;121:100.