An exhaled nitric oxide test can help with the diagnosis and treatment of asthma. It measures the level of nitric oxide gas in an exhaled sample of your breath. This sample is collected by having you breathe into the mouthpiece of a machine that performs the measurement.
June 24, 2017
- Dweik RA, et al. An official ATS clinical practice guideline: Interpretation of exhaled nitric oxide levels (FENO) for clinical applications. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. 2011;184:602.
- Dweik RA. Exhaled nitric oxide analysis and applications. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 17, 2016.
- Mummadi SR, et al. Update on exhaled nitric oxide in clinical practice. Chest. 2016;149:1340.
- Essat M, et al. Fractional exhaled nitric oxide for the management of asthma in adults: A systematic review. European Respiratory Journal. 2016;47:751.
- Calhoun KH. The role of fractional exhaled nitric oxide in asthma management. Otolaryngology Clinics of North America. 2014;47:87.
- Li JT (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 7, 2016.
Nitric oxide test for asthma