A neck lift is a cosmetic procedure that removes excess fat around your jaw line, creating a more defined and youthful-looking neck. A neck lift covers a smaller area than a face-lift does and is sometimes called a mini face-lift. The results of a neck lift can be long-lasting if you maintain your weight.
A neck lift is outpatient cosmetic surgery that removes fat that has accumulated around the jaw line. If the skin is very loose, Mayo Clinic specialists may recommend a face-lift.
Neck lifts are done under general anesthesia and take from 45 minutes to three hours, depending on the type of procedure you have. Your Mayo Clinic doctor will discuss with you the options:
- Liposuction. The surgeon makes a tiny incision behind each ear and under the chin. Specialized equipment suctions fat from the jaw line and beneath the chin. The procedure lasts one or two hours. The result, if your skin is resilient, is a more defined neck area.
- Neck lift (cervicoplasty). The surgeon makes a small incision beneath the chin (and sometimes around the ears) and tightens the neck muscles underneath. Excess skin and fat also may be removed. The procedure takes two to three hours. Cervicoplasty is recommended for patients who are overweight.
- Mini neck lift (submentoplasty). The surgeon makes a very small incision in the curve of your neck and tightens the neck muscles. Liposuction also may be used. The procedure takes about 45 minutes. Mayo specialists may recommend a mini neck lift if you are near your ideal body weight and have a moderate amount of loose neck skin and fat.
At Mayo Clinic, you receive close follow-up care to ensure proper healing. You may have swelling and bruising, and may need to wear a special garment that compresses your neck and helps reduce swelling. The neck-compression garment is usually needed for three or four weeks after liposuction, five to seven days after neck lift and four or five days after mini neck lift. You probably can return to work and resume activities within a week.
It takes four to six months for the effects of a neck lift to appear. It can last if you maintain your weight.
As with any surgery, a neck lift procedure has risks. These can include:
Feb. 10, 2011
- Problems with anesthesia
- Temporary or permanent numbness or weakness in the chin and mouth
- Swelling and bruising for up to six weeks