Gallstones often don't cause symptoms. But if you have a gallbladder attack, you're not likely to forget it.
Back pain may mean you have a herniated disk — but not always. In fact, you can have disk herniation without pain. Here are the facts.
A monthly period is bad enough. Add in painful menstrual cramps, and you may be cursing this thing called womanhood. How do you get relief?
The pain of pancreatitis, an inflammation of the pancreas, can last for days, or in chronic cases, for years. Pancreatitis can lead to serious complications.
Less common than an ACL knee injury, a torn posterior cruciate ligament can be painful and sideline you for months. Find out more.
Some people with psoriasis may develop joint pain called psoriatic arthritis. Get the basics here.
Syringomyelia is the development of a fluid-filled cyst within your spinal cord. It can cause a variety of neurological symptoms, including pain, weakness and stiffness.
Thrombophlebitis occurs when a blood clot and swelling develop in a vein, typically in your leg. The cause often is prolonged inactivity or bed rest.
Twisting the knee can cause a common knee injury known as a torn meniscus. Treatment sometimes includes surgery.
Toxoplasmosis is an infection caused by a parasite. It doesn't make most people ill, but infants and people with HIV/AIDS are at risk of complications.
While mild traumatic brain injury generally results in few long-term problems, more severe injury can cause several physical, emotional, behavioral, communication and cognitive problems.
Ankylosing spondylitis is an inflammatory arthritis that affects your spine and nearby joints. Over time, your spine may become stiff and immovable.
Encephalitis is inflammation of the brain usually caused by a viral infection. Severe cases can cause brain damage, even death.
Enlarged heart is often a sign of a serious heart condition. Find out causes and treatments for enlarged heart.
Plantar fasciitis is a common cause of heel pain. It generally clears up with the help of simple treatments for pain and inflammation.
Nasal polyps, inflammation-related growths in the nasal passages or sinuses, can block the flow of air and fluid in your nose.
Placenta previa is a pregnancy complication that can cause excessive bleeding before or during delivery. Treatment may include bed rest or a C-section birth.
Schizophrenia causes delusions, hallucinations and behavior changes. The good news is that new medications can often effectively manage schizophrenia symptoms.
Although the absence of menstruation (amenorrhea) is seldom serious, the condition can often be linked to an underlying problem requiring treatment.
Caused by contractions of your diaphragm, hiccups are usually harmless. But rarely, hiccups may signal an underlying medical condition that requires treatment.
Precocious puberty is a rare condition in which the physical signs of puberty begin to develop too early in children.
Treatments and drugs
Aug. 19, 2016
- Neurological diagnostic tests and procedures. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/misc/diagnostic_tests.htm. Accessed June 30, 2016.
- Patient safety: Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). American College of Radiology, Radiological Society of North America. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/safety/index.cfm?pg=sfty_mr. Accessed June 30, 2016.
- Chernoff D, et al. Principles of magnetic resonance imaging. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 30, 2016.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the body. American College of Radiology, Radiological Society of North America. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=bodymr. Accessed June 30, 2016.
- Brain and spinal cord tumors in adults. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/cancer/braincnstumorsinadults/detailedguide/brain-and-spinal-cord-tumors-in-adults-diagnosed. Accessed June 30, 2016.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartAttack/SymptomsDiagnosisofHeartAttack/Magnetic-Resonance-Imaging-MRI_UCM_441632_Article.jsp. Accessed June 30, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. MRI of the breast. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- MRI of the musculoskeletal system. American College of Radiology, Radiological Society of North America. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=muscmr. Accessed June 30, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. MRI and implanted cardiac devices. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Cochlear implant and magnetic resonance imaging. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Wadhwa V, et al. Bone and joint modeling from ED knee MRI: Feasibility and comparison with radiographs and 2D MRI. Clinical Imaging. 2016;40:765.