Tobacco smoke causes most cases of emphysema. Although quitting smoking can't reverse the damage, it can help keep this serious lung disease from becoming worse.
April 11, 2017
- Surgery. American Lung Association. http://www.lung.org/lung-health-and-diseases/lung-disease-lookup/copd/diagnosing-and-treating/surgery.html. Accessed Jan. 24, 2017.
- Goldman L, et al., eds. Interventional and surgical approaches to lung disease. In: Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 25th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 24, 2017.
- Hospital rankings by specialty. U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals Rankings, 2016-2017. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings. Accessed Feb. 9, 2017.
- National Emphysema Treatment Trial (NETT): Evaluation of lung volume reduction surgery for emphysema. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-pro/resources/lung/national-emphysema-treatment-trial. Accessed Jan. 24, 2017.
- Martinez FJ. Lung volume reduction surgery in COPD. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 24, 2017.
- Benzo R. Lung volume reduction surgery: Nonpharmacological approach. Current Opinion in Anaesthesiology. 2011;24:44.
Lung volume reduction surgery