Tobacco smoke causes most cases of emphysema. Although quitting smoking can't reverse the damage, it can help keep this serious lung disease from becoming worse.
Dec. 16, 2014
- Surgery. American Lung Association. http://www.lung.org/lung-disease/copd/treating-copd/surgery.html. Accessed Nov. 1, 2014.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 1, 2014.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 1, 2014.
- National Emphysema Treatment Trial (NETT): Evaluation of lung volume reduction surgery for emphysema. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-pro/resources/lung/national-emphysema-treatment-trial.htm. Accessed Nov. 2, 2014.
- Martinez FJ. Lung volume reduction surgery in COPD. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 3, 2014.
- Benzo R. Lung volume reduction surgery: Nonpharmacological approach. Current Opinion in Anaesthesiology. 2011;24:44.
- Benzo R, et al. Integrating health status and survival data: The palliative effect of lung volume reduction surgery. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. 2009;180:239.