- Experience. Mayo Clinic has been a pioneering center in translating lung volume reduction surgery from a research tool to part of everyday care of people with emphysema. Mayo Clinic was one of the participating centers in the multicenter national trial that evaluated the effectiveness and role of lung volume reduction surgery. The trial helped define who is most likely to benefit from the surgery.
- Coordinated, comprehensive care. You are cared for by doctors, nurses and therapists who specialize in lung diseases and who work together in the same clinic and hospital unit.
- Special expertise. Mayo Clinic has the testing and medical expertise to help decide which treatment option is appropriate for you. Mayo Clinic in Minnesota has a state-of-the-art pulmonary rehabilitation program, which is key to the success of lung volume reduction surgery.
- Qualifying center. Lung volume reduction surgery qualifies for Medicare reimbursement, by virtue of Mayo Clinic's status as a Medicare-approved lung transplant center.
- Research leader. Mayo Clinic has been continuously funded by the National Institutes of Health to identify and test lung rehabilitation options, and then to translate this knowledge to the best care for people with lung diseases.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks #1 for respiratory disorders in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., and Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked high performing for respiratory disorders by U.S. News & World Report.
Jul. 13, 2010