Experience. Mayo Clinic has been a pioneering center in translating lung volume reduction surgery from a research tool to part of everyday care of people with emphysema.
Mayo Clinic was one of the participating centers in the multicenter national trial that evaluated the effectiveness and role of lung volume reduction surgery. The trial helped define who is most likely to benefit from the surgery. Mayo Clinic typically performs about 10 lung volume reduction surgeries a year.
- Coordinated, comprehensive care. You are cared for by doctors, nurses and therapists who specialize in lung diseases and who work together in the same clinic and hospital unit.
- Special expertise. Mayo Clinic has the testing and medical expertise to help decide which treatment option is appropriate for you. Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota has a state-of-the-art Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program, which is key to the success of lung volume reduction surgery.
- Qualifying center. Lung volume reduction surgery qualifies for Medicare reimbursement, by virtue of Mayo Clinic's status as a Medicare-approved lung transplant center.
- Research leader. Mayo Clinic has been continuously funded by the National Institutes of Health to identify and test lung rehabilitation options, and then to translate this knowledge to the best care for people with lung diseases.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for respiratory disorders in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for respiratory disorders by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked high performing for respiratory disorders by U.S. News & World Report.
Dec. 16, 2014
- Surgery. American Lung Association. http://www.lung.org/lung-disease/copd/treating-copd/surgery.html. Accessed Nov. 1, 2014.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 1, 2014.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 1, 2014.
- National Emphysema Treatment Trial (NETT): Evaluation of lung volume reduction surgery for emphysema. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-pro/resources/lung/national-emphysema-treatment-trial.htm. Accessed Nov. 2, 2014.
- Martinez FJ. Lung volume reduction surgery in COPD. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 3, 2014.
- Benzo R. Lung volume reduction surgery: Nonpharmacological approach. Current Opinion in Anaesthesiology. 2011;24:44.
- Benzo R, et al. Integrating health status and survival data: The palliative effect of lung volume reduction surgery. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. 2009;180:239.